Sunday, May 22, 2011

Giro di Italia

This morning Kevin and I had the chance to watch the Giro di Italia! This is basically the Tour di France of Italy. It is a 22 day race and the riders go about 200km each day...it's crazy! Today was day 15 and the riders had to go into the mountains. They road rights past our town and then up the main road to Piancavallo. They then continued into the Dolomites and ended near Belluno. Kevin and I decided to get a stop in one of the switchbacks on the road up to Piancavallo. It was such a festival:) There were people everywhere, and I love Italy because I would say over half of them road up to watch the race! We hung out for about an hour before the riders got there (but they close the road early so we had to get our spot).

Some of the coolest things were seeing all the team cars with the spare bikes on top. The bikes are super nice, and cost way more than the car they are riding on, which is funny:) We had a great time, we really felt like we were taking advantage of Italy today! Here are some shots of the racers passing us. They were going about 20mph up this road...it was crazy!

Here is our spot, waiting for the racers:)




This is a shot over the side of the mountain, you can see the team cars coming up the road past our town.


This guys was awesome! As I said, most people road their bikes up to watch the race...well he didn't want to get tan lines, so this guys hiked up those spandex shorts and rocked it all day!


And finally the racers came through!

1 comment:

  1. You are getting awesome with your camera. I love the last bicycling shot. And the paragliding shots are awesome, too. Can't wait to see you guys!!! I am sooooooooo excited!

    ReplyDelete